November 26, 2013

Top Ten Things I Am Thankful For (39)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Oh jeeze. Am I really supposed to pick only TEN things I'm thankful for? Oh well. Let's get cracking.

1. My Family
OBVS. I mean, no matter how much I complain abut my family, I know how lucky I am. Especially since I live at home, rent free. So. THANKS FAMILY. I'm also particularly thankful for my niece and nephews. They're really cute. I'd show you all pics but I'm not sure my siblings would love that.

2. My Friends
Both blogging and my "in real life" friends. Y'know, honestly, I'm beginning to think of some of my blogging friends as my "in real life" friends. I've met a bunch of them and there are even some I hang out with regularly (since they live near me). There's also a lot of texting and gchatting going on. And sometimes I find my blogging friends more helpful than my non-blogging friends (re: bookish things and not booking things). Sometimes I feel like they understand me better? Or maybe they're in a different place in their lives and have wisdom to impart. Whatever the case, I've never been so grateful for my friends.

3. My Blog
Well, I wouldn't have bookish friends if I didn't have my blog. I don't even want to think of how many people I'd never have met and books I'd never have read if I hadn't started my blog. *hugs nonsensically named blog*

4. My Job
Yeah, it's only part time, but it's something to get me out of the apartment every day. Like I said, I'm grateful for my family, I just can't be around them all day every day. I. Just. Can't. 

5. Thanksgivukkah
That's right. This year it's Thanksgiving and Hanukkah all rolled into one. I'm excited, especially since it might snow on Thursday. IT COULD BE A WHITE THANKSGIVUKKAH. Which is the equivalent of a purple unicorn, in my book. (Can  you guys tell how easy it is to make me happy? Can you? I'm basically a puppy.)

6. Twitter
I know. There's so much drama and we all want to kill it a lot of the time, but, well, it's one of the best ways to connect with all of you. It's also where all of the insane puns, caps lock convos and fan girl freak outs go down. AND Twitter totally keeps me from saying stupid things that I don't need to say on Facebook. Twitter moves a lot faster and people see a lot less, so it's okay. (Or at least that's what I tell myself.)

7. YA Books
I know this seems pretty obvious, but I think it needs saying. I could write an essay on why YA. There are so many reasons. But it all boils down to the fact that this is the genre for me. There are so many books I've read this year (and in previous years) that totally alter the way I see things. I have so much love for the genre and I honestly can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't picked up Harry Potter at age 8 and then moved on to Tamora Pierce and then His Dark Materials, etc. So parents? Keep buying those books.

8. Driving
If you've been paying close attention to my Twitter, you'll know I'm from NYC and only got my license LAST AUGUST. So I've only had it for a year and a bit. But after last August I went back to school and then I was traveling and I didn't get to drive very much. Recently, my parents have been letting me drive and even take the car on my own. I can't even express how happy this makes me. I've always been a very independent person and the ability to just up and go, even outside the city (without having to change subways a million times) is the best. And yeah. I'm aware I sound like a 16 year old from the middle of no where who just got her license. I accept.

9. My New Bookshelves
I'm not even kidding. These new shelves almost make me happier than the books I put on them. Basically: THANKS DADDY.

10. YOU
That's right. You. If you're reading this, you should know I'm thankful for your ability to make it through my silly little list. To many more silly little lists and many more days of you visiting my blog!

**BONUS**
11. The Library
This is a mutual thankfulness, I think. I mean, the library definitely doesn't love how I borrow books and continuously renew them, but I rarely ever return them LATE (AKA I always return them when someone else puts them on hold) and I always pay my fines ASAP. But I think they're thankful for my ridiculous borrowing habits (even though they also hate them) because I'm keeping the books I take out in circulation and prove the library's usefulness. (At least that's what people tell me when I admit to renewing a book 7 times.) (Yes. 7 times is my current record. I think the NYPL is insane and magnificent for letting me get away with that.) (THANKS NYPL I LOVE YOU FOREVER.)

What are YOU grateful for? Also, feel free to berate me in the comments below if you think I've gotten anything obvious.