February 28, 2014

Give Me That Book. Give it to Me Now.

Fact: I don't like coffee. I just like saying Coffee Clutch in my best and deepest New York accent. Considering I'm a New Yorker, I'm pretty freaking good at it. So I've got my tea and I hope you have your heated beverage of choice, because it's time to gab the day away.

The other day I was on Twitter and Rachel (who blogs over at As Told By Rachel) tweeted about how much she missed the good ol' days, before the Harry Potter series wrapped up. Y'know, back when she would get so excited for a new release with the pre-orders and the sweet anticipation for that next book in the series that you would absolutely devour the second you got your hands on it... well, you guys know what I mean. 


And when I read that tweet, I thought to myself, yes. I miss that too! Despite the fact that I didn't love the way the series ended (sorry book 7 lovers, that's just my story and I have to stick to it) I'm deeply nostalgic re: that reading period of my life and I know, if the series wasn't over, I'd still be pre-ordering and freaking out and all that jazz.

But, the thing is, just because Potter is done, doesn't mean there isn't another series/author that makes you want to fall apart in between books. I'm talking, you think about the next book at least once a week. You obsessively check your pre-order. You stalk the author's website and twitter for spoilers. You hide that author from your Twitter feed so you can avoid thinking about it (but you fail). You'll stand outside your bookstore the day the book comes out so you can have it ASAP (because let's be real, pre-orders, even the ebook ones, can be faulty) and then spend the whole day reading, no food or bathroom breaks until you've finished and re-read your favorite parts (sorry real life).


For some people, I know that series is Percy Jackson. I mean, even I want a set of those new covers. (HAVE YOU SEEN THEM LINED UP I MEAN REALLY, DISNEY HYPERION.)

For others, it's the upcoming release of Isla and the Happily Ever After or maybe the latest Rainbow Rowell book. I also hear a lot of excitement over Laini Taylor's Dreams of Gods and Monster and Leigh Bardugo's Ruin and Rising (all of which I'm excited for as well, but not at the Harry Potter level, I don't think).

But for me? The one that's currently killing me not so softly

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. 

My brain honestly breaks over Winter. I constantly have a "HOW CAN I WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR" moment going on in my head. I swear, the only reason I've not started a countdown is because it would destroy me. This is a book I'd line up for. Like, line snaking around the block, costume required insanity. I couldn't tell you why. It's a feels thing, as I'm sure you all know. I'm only grateful that there's just one book left, not 4. I can't even imagine 4 more books of this. On a not year-to-year basis (we never did know how long between the Potter books, did we?). Current-day Gaby isn't nearly as understanding and patient as wee Gaby was. Which is saying something truly awful, isn't it?


Obviously, you're not defective if you don't currently have one of these "freak the frak out" books in your life. But, if you do feel this way about one series or another, tell me all about it in the comments below. I'd like to freak the frak out with you if possible!