February 9, 2014

The REALEST Launch Event This Girl Has Ever Attended

Today I'm going to tell you all about my night last night and how utterly brilliant it was.

So at 6:40pm (late as always), I ran out of my apartment and hopped on the subway, thus beginning my journey to Brooklyn to a bar named Freddy's. Now, as a Manhattanite, I rarely vacate my borough, especially not on the weekend, when laziness and sleep take over my life. It honestly takes a BIG event (such as a birthday/engagement party/wedding) to get me moving. But when I heard about Heather Demetrios's launch party, I knew I couldn't miss it.

Why?

Well, I love this book. Here's the cover and summary, in case you have no idea what's going on right now:


Title: Something Real
Author: Heather Demetrios (Twitter | Website | Facebook)
Release Date: February 4th, 2014
There’s nothing real about reality TV.

Seventeen-year-old Bonnie™ Baker has grown up on TV—she and her twelve siblings are the stars of one-time hit reality show Baker’s Dozen. Since the show’s cancellation and the scandal surrounding it, Bonnie™ has tried to live a normal life, under the radar and out of the spotlight. But it’s about to fall apart…because Baker’s Dozen is going back on the air. Bonnie™’s mom and the show’s producers won’t let her quit and soon the life she has so carefully built for herself, with real friends (and maybe even a real boyfriend), is in danger of being destroyed by the show. Bonnie™ needs to do something drastic if her life is ever going to be her own—even if it means being more exposed than ever before.

[Summary Source: Goodreads]

And then there's also this little list of things that were at the launch party that necessitated my presence:
  • The Bushwick Bookclub - This lovely group of people read a book and then write songs about them. They perform once a month and they're really, really cool. My favorite song they performed was about Patrick and I really, really hope Heather uploads that brilliant song onto her website in some way (yeah, that's right, I saw the filming) so I can giggle into next week over that one. It was like, y'know when you used to (or still do, depending on your age) sit in class in high school and day dream about a boy? This song was basically the sum total of Chloe's adorable, crushtastic Patrick day dreams. 
  • Noteworthy - Noteworthy it actually an Emerson cappella group and, I don't think you guys know this about me, but my love for college a cappella developed while I was in college, grew as the Sing-Off became a real show for me to watch, and toppled me over with it's enormousness after Pitch Perfect came out. So, basically, this was the best ever. They sang "Fell in Love With a Girl" by The White Stripes (or, Joss Stone's cover titled "Fell in Love With a Boy") and "Island in the Sun" by Weezer (which has special meaning you'll only really understand if you've read SOMETHING REAL). Basically, I was dying of happiness like you don't even know.
  • CUPCAKES - Dear everyone reading this: Georgetown Cupcakes are WHAT'S UP. Seriously, I went to this launch with friends and expletives where used after biting into those things more than once. You want them. You really do.
  • Booze - Heather Demetrios's beautifully talented editor made up a drink recipe for the occasion. I obvs have a copy of the recipe that I'm going to tuck into my TEQUILA MOCKINGBIRD by Tim Federle (the levels of appropriate and classy are through the roof, I know), but if you're looking for the recipe, you can find it HERE. There's also a drinking game in that lovely post, so get some Georgetown Cupcakes, make your drink, and read this book!
  • Books! - So Heather read three different excerpts from her book and, let me just say, I now already wish to re-read this book. Like, if I had just come to this event because the book sounded cool (as YA lovers tend to do) I would have bought it based on the readings. Basically, what I'm saying is, you guys should get your copy. Now.

All in all I'd say Heather (who was wearing a pair of fantastic red pants and a rad anti-TV themed shirt, for the record) knows how to throw a killer launch party (full of all of my absolute favorite things). This is why I'm really excited for her next book, EXQUISITE CAPTIVE, which is about genies and will, so says a little birdy named Heather Demetrios, be launched at a hookah bar. I mean, let's get crazy with it, shall we? So, October, hurry your butt up, would ya?

Until then, I'll just re-live tonight in picture form.
I stole this one from Heather's twitter account because I wanted you all to see her shirt and I don't have one of those.
I stole this one from Twitter too so you all could see the delish cupcakes. I had two red velvet.
Okay, this picture's mine. Finally. Although, my iPhone is not the best at picture taking, apparently.
And then there's us! Hurray!
Also, for the record, this bar the launch party was at was eccentric in the best way possible. Like, hello dive bar of Gaby's warped, bizarre dreams. I might have to invent a reason to go out there again. Or maybe Heather can have another event there and then I won't have to!

So, I think we can all agree that getting off my lazy butt and making my way out to Brooklyn for SOMETHING REAL was a very good idea. And I think another good idea would be for all of you to go out and buy SOMETHING REAL. Like ASAP. (Seriously, are you still here? Stop that and go buy this book.)